Examinations (Day & Evening Colleges)
As the College (Day & Evening) is an Autonomous Instituition, the College has an Examination Cell which is responsible for the conduct of end semester examinations and the publication of results thereafter.
Controller of Examinations:
Dr. R. Ramachandran, M.A., B.Ed. M.Phil., Ph.D
Asst. Controller of Examinations:
Dr. G. Rajasekaran, M.Sc., M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Information regarding different aspects of the Examinations are detailed below:
- Continous Internal Assesment
- End Semester Examinations
- Examination Fee Details
- Exam Time-Table
- Examination Hall
- Panel of Examiners
- Declaration and Publication of Results
- Supplementary Examinations
- Provisional and Degree Certificates
- Other Certificates
Continous Internal Assesment
The results of the candidates are based on CIA done at their departments and valuation of the end semester exam papers at the centralized valuation camp.
The Continuous Internal Assessment component consists of 40% for the assignments and course related work, 40% for tests and 20% for tests of paper related skills to be decided by the course teacher. (25 marks for CIA and 75 marks for end semester examination)
The marks earned in the CIA once will be carried forward to other semester too, if the student were to write the same paper again as arrears having failed or absent in the previous attempt. By the last working days of each semester, the marks of the CIA are released to the students.
End Semester Examinations
Controller's office arranges and conducts the end semester examinations at the end of odd and even semesters and declares the results of candidates.
Odd semester examinations are conducted in November and that of even semester examination in April-May. Practical examination / Project viva is also held along with the semester end examinations.
Chief Superintendent of exams manages the conduct of end semester exams. Valuation of the answer scripts are undertaken at the central valuation camp headed by a Camp Officer. One department is in-charge of examinations (Chief Superintendent) and another department is in-charge of valuation camp in each academic year.
Valuation of answer scripts is done centrally at the camp. Internal and external examiners valuate answer scripts for both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Applications for appearing in the examinations are issued and received in August and February.
- All particulars in the examination application form are to be filled in carefully.
- The COE office is not responsible for incorrect spelling/name/erroneous entries in the application.
- Incomplete application in any respect is liable to be rejected without any notice.
- Candidates should register compulsorily for all the arrear papers along with the regular papers. The fee once paid will in no circumstances be refunded or adjusted for the subsequent examinations.
- Candidates with arrears should attach the xerox copy of the respective semester mark statement along with the application form.
- Candidates who have earned 75% of attendance are eligible to appear for the semester examinations (Theory and Practicals separately).
Examination Fee Details
|1||Cost of Application||Rs. 50/- per form|
|2||Statement of Marks||Rs. 50/- for each|
|3||Total NO.of UG-Theory papers applied for.......X||Rs. 80/- per paper||4||Total NO.of PG-Theory papers applied for......X||Rs. 150/- per paper|
|5||Total NO.of UG-Practical papers applied for......X||Rs. 100/- per paper|
|6||Total NO.of PG-Practical papers applied for......X||Rs. 200/- per paper|
|7||Project UG||Rs. 300/- per paper|
|8||Provisional Ceritificate||Rs. 100/-|
|10||Consolidated Mark Statement||Rs. 150/-|
|11||Course Completion Ceriticate||Rs. 50/-|
|12||Fine(for late submission)||Rs. 100/-|
|13||Fine(for late submission)||Rs. 500/-|
Examination time table is released by October first week and March second week for the Odd Semester and Even Semester examinations respectively.
- Candidates will not be allowed inside the examination hall without proper HALL TICKET and IDENTITY CARD
- Candidates should be seated in the examination hall atleast ten minutes before the commencement of the examination
- Candidates will not be permitted to enter the examination hall 30 minutes after the commencement of the examination
- Candidates should verify whether they are provided with relevant question paper and thereafter begin writing the examination
- Candidates may leave the hall 30 minutes after the commencement of the examination
- Attendance sheet is to be signed by the candidate at every session of the examination
- Mobile phones, scientific calculators, programmable calculators will not be allowed inside the examination hall. Simple calculators shall be allowed. But they cannot be lent to any other candidate
- Answer scripts are to be handed over to the Hall Superintendent in person
- Malpractice or misconduct of any kind is punishable. The examinations written by them will be treated as cancelled, and no re-examination will be conducted for them
- Candidates must observe silence and maintain discipline in the examination hall
Panel of Examiners
The panel of examiners for different subjects both in the Aided and Self financing stream is drawn with the help of the respective Heads of the departments / Chairman, Board of Studies in the month of July ( for Odd semester examinations ) and January (for Even semester examinations).
Before the conduct of semester end examination, the question papers are scrutinized by the external examiners and Chairman, Board of Studies.
Declaration and Publication of Results
A student, to pass a paper must have scored not less then 40% in the semester end exam and 40% in aggregate ( CIA + Semester end exam for undergraduate level) and 50% ( CIA + semester end exam ) in the case of post graduate studies.
A meeting of the passing boards is held after all the valuation and other examination related works are over. The results are declared in the month of December for odd semester and in June for even semester.
By the third week of December and the second week of June, the results are sent to the respective departments. Mark statements are subsequently sent to the departments before the end of June and of December.
- VI semester of UG and IV semester of PG students alone are eligible for revaluation if the student has failed in any paper in his final semester
- Those who wish to apply for revaluation have to apply first to the Controller of Examinations for obtaining the photocopy of the relevant answer script by paying Rs. 150 for the answer script in the prescribed form
- After scrutiny of the photocopy, the student, if interested in revaluation, has to get the recommendation of the HOD in the prescribed form with the fee of Rs. 350 for revaluation
- The marks awarded in the revaluation will be final
- All letters in connection with the examinations should be addressed to the Controller of Examinations
- The results of the revaluation will be intimated to the students through the respective Heads of Departments
- Normally, Supplementary examinations are held in the month of July every year
- VI semester of UG and IV semester of PG students alone are eligible to write the supplementary examinations.
- The aforesaid students should not have more than two arrear papers during their entire course of study.
- Application form for the supplementary examination could be had from the COE’s office and the filled up form along with the proof of fees paid should reach the COE’s office before the prescribed date
Provisional and Degree Certificates
A copy of the results of the successful final year students are sent to the Madras University in July and January and the University issues provisional certificates to the students and the degree certificates after the convocation through the college. Provisional Pass Certificate can be had from the Controller of Examinations, University of Madras.
Students are issued course completion certificates and consolidated mark statements with credits once they have passed all their papers. Rank certificates for eligible students are issued during the College Day.
Duplicate Degree Grade/Mark Sheets are not ordinarily issued. The students should apply to the Controller of Examinations, for obtaining them.
For any clarification, contact Principal/ Controller of Examinations/Chairman, Board of Studies.