Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda college became an autonomous college in 2004. It is affiliated to the University of Madras. By virtue of being an autonomous institution, the college is free to frame its own courses of studies and to adopt innovative methods of teaching and evaluation.
The University confers the degrees to the students after passing the examinations held by the college.
Features of Autonomy
* Autonomous syllabus is entirely students centered.
* Project courses being implemented at U.G. level are really laudable.
* Students develop problem-solving skills.
* Teachers help fresher’s to cope with studies in English.
* There is a wide choice in subjects.
* Students concentrate on non-academic activities too.
* Attendance is strict.
* Improved paper corrections.
* Departments are free to adapt or adjust the syllabus according to needs.
* Scope for interaction with other department staff and even outside experts.
* Freedom in choice of courses.
* Improved modes of evaluation.
* Periodical changes in syllabus are advantageous in the changing educational scenario.
* Wide range of electives helps students.
* Well-maintained discipline.
* Improved student-teacher interaction.
* Continuous assessment prompts students to study and learn meticulously, rather than make eleventh
* Students are aware of examination dates well in advance.
* Seminars build confidence in the student.
* Students have the opportunity to learn an additional language.
* Each question paper scrutinized by a Board, in addition to double valuation scheme.